This page is created by a Deaf blogger and is NOT intended to offend Deaf community, Deaf individuals, or anyone else. Any hateful or offensive comments made by individual readers is the sole responsibility of that person. With the exception of news sources (I do not own them), these blog articles are my own opinions and thoughts with which you may disagree. I do remove comments that only contain profanity and insults about me or this page (yeah, it's my blog). If your comment goes unpublished for no other reason, it may be mistakenly filtered as spam. Happy reading!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What you should do and what you shouldn't do when applying for job

  1. Don't mention you are deaf on your resume and/or cover letter. If you mention that, a hiring manager will throw your resume in the trash without even bothering to read all of it. All skills and qualifications should be listed, not your deafness.

  2. Never ask a manager or employer for an interpreter when they invite you to the interview. They do not like to pay out of their pocket to accommodate a deaf applicant they don't know or if they aren't sure they will hire him or her. The reality may hit you hard, but it just is the way the world works.
     
  3. If you are hard of hearing, don't mention you are deaf in the job applications, email, or on the phone until you meet them in person. They will feel at ease if you are able to use your voice to communicate well with them.

  4. If you are profoundly deaf and can't speak, your deafness shouldn't be mentioned either until you let them know a day before your interview. You will be able to write the notes to communicate with your interviewer. Perhaps, they will realize that you can do it on your own without having an interpreter presented.

  5. If your Vocational Rehabilitation Service pays an interpreter for your job interview, you must let a manager or HR employer know about it a day before the interview. They don't like the surprises—trust me, I know.

  6. Make sure you tell your relay operator not to tell someone that this is a relay call because they do not understand or are ignorant about the relay services for deaf and hard of hearing.

  7. During the interview, you must show your confidence and know about their company as well as the job position you are applying for.

  8. Tell them what you can do for them that hearing applicants can't. For instance, your deafness helps you strengthen your eyes for color and details, and you know how to pay attention to their customers' needs. You have to emphasize that you have a very good memory and possess special skills that are good for a job you are interested in.

  9. Keep in mind that they are only interested in what you can do for them, not what they can do for you. They know how to read between lines, so be careful what and how you tell them.

  10. At the end of the interview, discuss about communication issues and let them know that you won't need an interpreter to accommodate you on the training job. Like I said before, they don't want to pay for any deaf applicants and will have no problem finding a qualified hearing applicant to save them money.
This is all for now. If there is anything I may forget to add, please let me know!

Obviously, the hard truth is we have to work twice as hard as those hearing people to get what we want. Most hearing people think we aren't good enough and would like us to work harder to prove them wrong. If you have experienced any problems with hearing people like your boss, teacher, family member, or anyone else you know that you would like to share with us, feel free to post your comment. Also, if you would like to post your opinion about this article I just wrote today, please feel free to do so.


Hope you will have a nice Thanksgiving's day!

8 comments:

  1. Some people may disagree with #1. I think it depends on the individual. I once was job searching and omitted any information about my hearing level, and was called to several job interviews. I paid a lot of money for gas and preparation to go to these job interviews (some were three hours away) only to find they weren't comfortable/interested in hiring a deaf person, no matter what I said to them. What a waste of time and money!!! So I began to include the information, and was only called by those who were comfortable working with deaf people. Again, this will depend on each individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although, I can understand your frustration, I believe you can only list your skills & qualifications in resume and cover letter. As I stated before, you should always let them know of your hearing disability before you get there.

      By stating your deafness can limit your opportunities, and you will not be able to show them what you can do for a job. That's just my personal opinion.

      Either way, it's up to you.

      Delete
    2. Anymous #1 I do agree with Blog about number #1 is accurate and don't put down on your hearing specifically. They have to waiting until they calling or email you and then they can communicated via email or call through relay service.

      Be specifically date and Relay service number or Video Relay Operator ( you have to put name of Video Relay company)..
      So they can trace the number. I prefer to use www.IPRelay.com or VCO relay service with a time and DATE by it self it will printed by from beginning to end of conversation. it is worth to proof to EEOC if they rejected you.. Better after communicate then set up appointment and asking them for ASL or Oral interpreter.

      Don't tell from first mention. Best wait until before hung up and tell them why you need ASL interpreter and Bad idea to last minutes to explain..

      matSeattle

      Delete
    3. Deaf Pixie,

      That's a good one about the proof of VR conversation. Thank you for the response. I notice that some people agree, some don't. I guess every individual has their own reasons.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed your entry right now and I am definitely fascinated by the style you make your blog post! Which methods do you turn to in order to share the news that you have provided a new entry to this domain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SilkySecrets Blog,

      Thanks for your feedback! Honestly, I don't know about the entry, but I just happened to write something and share my experience that I know all Deaf people can relate to. Based on my statics, many people are googling common words like "jobs for deaf". My understanding of this blog is that you have to write what people are interested in or can relate to.

      STerras

      Delete
  4. How I do it, to give the employers the hints by using my P3 numbers under my name and at the upper left side of the resume. When they call at my number and they will find out immediately what P3 is for and why. That way I give them options to go ahead to call or not to call. I noticed only one used P3 to call me. 1 out of 250 applications in 2 months. If I omit the P3 numbers, I assume that maybe half of them would call me.

    ReplyDelete