This page is created by a Deaf blogger and is NOT intended to offend Deaf community, Deaf individuals, or anyone else. Any hateful or offensive comments made by individual readers is the sole responsibility of that person. With the exception of news sources (I do not own them), these blog articles are my own opinions and thoughts with which you may disagree. I do remove comments that only contain profanity and insults about me or this page (yeah, it's my blog). If your comment goes unpublished for no other reason, it may be mistakenly filtered as spam. Happy reading!

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hearing people's responses to “Would you hire Deaf people?”

I created a survey to get some answers from random hearing people on "Would you hire Deaf applicants?". I asked them if they would hire Deaf people and to explain why or why not. If they were employers, what would be the first thing they think about Deaf applicants? Here are ten responses, and let me know what your thoughts are. Some of them may not surprise you, but they are very typical. Would you agree or disagree with any of these statements? Out of these statements, which one do you feel is more consistent with what's going on in Deaf unemployment?

Here are hearing people's statements:

"It would depend on the position. There are liability issues to be considered, as well as legal requirements to provide reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities. As a small businessman the cost vs benefit would be an issue to me, if I'm hiring a programmer or web designer it is a great fit, a transcriptionist or school crossing guard are probably non-starters; not because I have something against the deaf, but because the extra expense (with the transcriptionist) or liability (what if the crossing guard did not hear the oncoming truck) is not reasonable."

"I know an employer who hired a deaf guy into a data entry role and he is his most productive employee for the simple reason that he is not distracted by or doesn't engage in any of the chat that other employees engage in so this is a definite plus for that employer"

"Yes of course. I've worked along side several. My employer made certain considerations concerning safety and that was all that was needed.
i.e. fire alarms with flashing lights. (not required then at that time) and making sure they had a couple of "safety buddies" in case of alarms."

"'They probably wouldn't do well in a job where it was mandatory to be on the phone'. But if it was for a non-phone-intensive position, I'd judge them on their ability to do the job they applied for."

"I just follow the no discrimination on ethnicity, gender, age, disability etc"

"If you can do the job I need done, and you managed to get to an interview and onto my list of consideration, why not?"

"No, it would interfear with customer interaction, beacuse if the customer needed to change what they do to help the employe, its not right"

"If the job depended on a lot of phone use, probably not. Other than that, no problem. My first requirement: can they do the job? My second requirement: can they do the job? There are no other requirements."

"The only time this would be a problem is if the job includes verbal communication. There is no way that everyone you work with will learn sign language, so they will not hire you if you have to talk with coworkers."

"I would not refrain from hiring someone just because they were deaf or had any other handicap.
If they could do the job at hand then I would consider htem. Their handicap would not get them any special considerations, either, so they would still have to live up to other expectations that would be expected of any employee."

https://facebook.com/DeafUnemployment

8 comments:

  1. Interesting. Only five responses and it is hardly representative of the expected consensus about Deafs being incapable based on their perceived notion of inability to hear preventing from performing satisfactorily on the job. I think we need 10-20 more responses from different types of businesses in different locations to find more a plausible result. Other than this topic, I am new to your blog and took my time to read all posts you uploaded. I have been sending out my resumes including my email address that starts with Deaf and I just created a new email account with out that term to see if it would bring me more responses or not. Many thanks for your posts which helped modify my job search strategies as well as confirming my theories correctly.

    AW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be updating more responses from hearing people. Thanks for your feedback.

      Happy to help out; let me know about your progress with job search.

      Delete
  2. Your survey didn't bring too much surprises, though, it was interesting to see that the typical hearing views are still the same, sadly.
    I do notice in my 21 months of job search - whenever I mention I would need an ASL interpreter for a test or a job interview, it seems to be a red flag against me 'cause I never hear back from the company. One of my Deaf friends was so desperate, he even paid for his own interpreter to a job interview - just to have an equal chance - bam, same thing as me, he never heard back from the company. Are we that much of a liability?? Gosh... if only companies would have positive attitudes as the number 3 in your survey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEOC, Equal Employer Oppurutary (sp?) Commission told me that more than 8 employer the company must hire ASL interpreter and file EEOC.gov within less 6 month after when date you had a job interview.

      You should not pay interpreter. you can asking www.eeoc.gov to read their policy.You can asking EEOC to refund money back with a recipiet you need to keep it

      When did you had job interviewed?

      Delete
  3. I just updated five more responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    How do you conduct your survey? In person or email? do you leave any hint stating yourself being Deaf? If yes, it easily alters the thinking process of the hearing people. If you can make it appear it to be from a hearing person, it would make them more comfortable and tell like it is? A suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I should mention in my blog that I did not leave any hint to make them think I was deaf. They did not know who I was, & I didn't know them either, so it was easier for them tell me as it is. I asked them to be completely, brutally honest.

      Delete
  5. I had 5 interviews at first and only one of them called back to say they selected someone else. I used my P3 and SVP numbers on my resume to let the employers know or find out by calling. After 5 interviews, I applied many jobs as possible and not one of them called me. Those jobs I applied, do not list phones or customer service requirement and they are the background jobs where phones and customer services aren't applied. They just don't want to hire the deaf people, because of liability, period.

    ReplyDelete