This page is created by a Deaf blogger and is NOT intended to offend Deaf community, Deaf individuals, or anyone else. Any hateful or offensive comments made by individual readers is the sole responsibility of that person. With the exception of news sources (I do not own them), these blog articles are my own opinions and thoughts with which you may disagree. I do remove comments that only contain profanity and insults about me or this page (yeah, it's my blog). If your comment goes unpublished for no other reason, it may be mistakenly filtered as spam. Happy reading!

Monday, July 29, 2013

How to improve your chance of getting more job interviews

If you're having trouble to get as much job interviews as you would like, then here are some tips that can help you. This is really a tough job market because there are so many hearing applicants who are fighting for the same job you're applying for. Try changing the way you search for jobs, the way you fill out job applications, and the way your resume looks.

A Job That Doesn't Fit You

There are some jobs you may want to avoid. For example, it would be wise not to apply for the one that requires constantly answering the telephone or verbally interacting with clients or customers. It's a waste of time. Employers would always wonder how you communicate, and they already have some qualified hearing applicants to consider.

However, don't let a job that involves some talking on the phone stop you from applying. It is possible because you can use SVRS to call your clients or your boss. Make sure to demonstrate how the SVRS or any videophone works in your job interview. This is only if a job doesn't require a hired applicant to talk much on the phone.

Some companies have a privacy policy that prohibits employees from giving their client's personal information to a third person. It means that Deaf employees are not allowed to give the information to an ASL interpreter (third person) in the videophone even if they are actually conversing with the second person. So, that's another problem.

If you apply for a job that doesn't match your qualifications, you might want to avoid that as well. Focus on applying for the ones that are suitable for your educational or employment background.

Think Outside the City

If you have a driving license and own a car, try looking for a job outside the city or town you're living in. You may want to do that if you haven't already done so.

Hush-Hush!

Avoid listing your deafness on your resume or job applications unless they are from another state or city, which is understandable. Employers will see that as a negativity. Being deaf has nothing to do with your skills or how you do a job.

What'd Employers Think?

Try to minimize your ASL interpreter request upfront. No matter what the law says, employers are not likely to respond to Deaf applicants' request. Your VR or employment counselor will be happy to provide you with an ASL interpreter. If they can't place an interpreter at the last minute or you don't have a counselor, don't be afraid of going to the interview without one. There are other ways of communicating like writing or typing on your laptop beside ASL interpreter. Perhaps, it's time to learn how to surround yourself without help and how to use different communicate methods.

In my experience, interviewers are more likely to be at ease when I don't have a sign language interpreter with me. Maybe it's because they prefer someone who is more reliable. With or without an interpreter may not affect your chance of getting a job. All they care about is how well you present yourself and how you can contribute to their company.

Some employers believe Deaf people can't communicate. We have to show them that we can communicate in many different ways.

Sometimes, you have to prove yourself to them that you can perform certain tasks without needing an accommodation unless you need an interpreter for important meeting. The truth is, some employers will provide an interpreter for the meeting, but many won't.

If you want to work, then you have to sell your skills well. It's not that employers are dumb or hateful; they just don't want any additional responsibilities for any employees. They pay the employees to do the job they want done, and that's it. Business is all about making money, not spending.

Change the Way Your Resume Looks

If you don't have enough work experience or you want a career change, then do some volunteer work of your interest. Employers don't want applicants who are out of work for six months. If you have artistic or writing skills, then use it as your self-employment like doing some project works for your clients. Just be creative by finding something to fill in the employment gap. If you don't do that, employers will wonder about what you are doing with your free time.

If you tend to write ASL based grammar, then you need to get someone with good English skills to help you write your resume and cover letter. It's extremely important for a resume to be perfectly written in English. Otherwise, employers will see it as a piece of garbage.

Be professional and indicate that you are interested in the job position you are applying for and why you should be hired in your cover letter.

Take some English lessons. Do your best to improve it. Just because we live in an English-speaking country, we must follow English language beside ASL.

Lastly But Not Least...

Fill out job applications as many as five-six per day. It'll boost your chance of getting more responses from potential employers.

http://facebook.com/DeafUnemployment
http://deafcantgetjobs.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. I do notice that by not having an ASL interpreter at an interview previously, it was an opportunity for me to "think outside the box" and to show the employer how I was able to come up with different ways to communicate with them -- rather, than my expecting them to "solve this issue" by providing an interpreter. By my being creative, I was able to be assertive ... and employers love that. They want to see this type of trait on the job, so anytime I have a chance to show off these skills during an interview, I will go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right! It works, so that's the point I was trying to convey.

      Delete
  2. I used to work as a Mainframe Operator in the data center with heavy telephone calls. They hired me to work night shift since no one wants to work overnight. They tried to set communication system (TTY and IM relay) for me. They had several meetings to figure out how to set up tele-communication for me without having me to be there. It was a waste of their time. I felt they didn't understand 100% deaf technology. Without an interpreter, I tried to explain my manager about our phone accessibility. My manager brought TTY down to me and he asked me if it's voice recognition system. I laughed "No it is not but it can go through relay service. That is first deaf communication. Today, most deaf people use videophone through relay service. What about videophone?" He said management mentioned privacy issue because of video. I was like what? I only can see interpreters on the screen and they see me. I don't see hearing callers. That was before direct VP number came out. (One number is that hearing callers can call you directly through VRS)

    2 years later, I finally have them to set videophone up. Direct VP number came out that year. I successfully handled a lot of calls via VRS. Unfortunately, some engineers were not impatient to communicate with me through VRS. They sometimes hung up on me and they wanted to talk to other operators who are not Mainframe Operators. I was only in a charge of mainframe systems. Other operators told them to talk to me. One of them gave attitude to us. My manager took care of this situation with him.

    I didn't love Mainframe job but it was great experience for me. Mainframe is very old system. I am techie person and I always wanted to learn new technology. I decided to pursue different career so I went back to full-time graduate school. Now I am still unemployed for 2 years since I graduated. I volunteer to fix and resolve computers and mobile devices as a free lance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting. I'd always want to know what it'd be like working as a deaf caller.

      It's great that you're doing a freelance work. How is it working out for you?

      Delete