This page is created by a Deaf blogger and is NOT intended to offend Deaf community, Deaf individuals, or anyone else. Any hateful or offensive comments made by individual readers is the sole responsibility of that person. With the exception of news sources (I do not own them), these blog articles are my own opinions and thoughts with which you may disagree. I do remove comments that only contain profanity and insults about me or this page (yeah, it's my blog). If your comment goes unpublished for no other reason, it may be mistakenly filtered as spam. Happy reading!

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Teen Fired from Domino for Being Deaf

Before I start talking, I would like you to read a story (click on that link below) about a 17 years old teen boy who was fired by Domino's manager just because he couldn't hear well over the phone.

Now, does anyone notice that manager said he wouldn't have hired the boy if he knew he was deaf? That's pure discrimination. What more do you need than what he just said? It's all right there for you to see. Plain & simple.

Geez, you wonder... "Why do most deaf people have trouble finding a job? Why are they always being overlooked by hiring employers?" Go back & read your answer up there.
I rest my case.

Seriously, good verbal communication skills are required in every workplace, which is why our deafness is a big problem for many employers. I am not saying all employers are the same, but their attitude towards deafness is fairly common.

I have to say that it's easier for managers to fire or not to hire deaf people than it is to provide a simple, reasonable accommodation like an amplified telephone or a videophone relay. It doesn't kill them to do that, does it?

This is 21st century. There is always a solution in placing a hearing amplifier or videophone, but no, they would rather just fire their deaf employee & then hire someone else who can hear. This is very disappointing because people with disabilities are not given a chance to do the job they are capable of.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I totally agree with you. As a Deaf person working at the EDD (Employment Development Department) office, assisting Deaf consumers with their job searches, I am amazed with the employers' lack of comphrension and emphathy, as well as their uncertainity in hiring Deaf folks.

    Like you said, this is the 21st century -- and there have been many moments I wanted to say "get on with the times!" Sigh...

    We do have employers who have called us, saying they loved the Deaf consumers that they hired and they want to hire more Deaf folks, so I guess it is just a matter of patience, time and perservance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at Domino's, while I wasn't fired I was told that I would NEVER get promoted from a Customer Service Rep to a higher position BECAUSE I cannot hear the phones over the machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work at Domino's. I didn't get fired for being deaf, but I was told by my manager (I was a Customer Service Rep working part-time) that I would NEVER be promoted just because I couldn't hear the phones over the machinery!

    I quit that job and got another one, but that other job even with reasonable accommodation, they refused to help me more (bigger headphones are reasonable accommodation now?), stating that if I still cannot hear, then they'll have to fire me. That job was dead in the water too.

    ReplyDelete