This page is created by a Deaf blogger and is NOT intended to offend Deaf community, Deaf individuals, or anyone else. Any hateful or offensive comments made by individual readers is the sole responsibility of that person. With the exception of news sources (I do not own them), these blog articles are my own opinions and thoughts with which you may disagree. I do remove comments that only contain profanity and insults about me or this page (yeah, it's my blog). If your comment goes unpublished for no other reason, it may be mistakenly filtered as spam. Happy reading!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Why Does The Article Piss You Off?

I read a lot of comments on the "Reasons Employers Won't Hire Deaf Applicants" article, which can be found at http://deafcantgetjobs.blogspot.com/2012/11/reasons-employers-wont-hire-deaf-people.html. I would like to say thank you to those who took their time to write and express what they had to say. It's very interesting to see so many different point of views as to why most Deaf folks struggle to find a job. Some of them even change the way I look at myself as a Deaf person and how the hearing society sees Deaf people. The reason I am writing this is because I would like to address and give my two cents to some of those comments.

Some people said that it is not true because Deaf people still want to be on SSI and are too lazy to do anything, or that their attitude and behavior are the reasons employers don't want them. Some of them can't even handle the fact that employers don't want Deaf people just because they are deaf. Others simply said they know someone who is deaf has a good jobokay, but that does not take away the fact that the unemployment and underemployment rates for deaf individuals are still high in the U.S. Economic crisis and recession just make it even worse.

I am not angered or bothered by these comments because I believe each one of us is entitled to our own opinion. There is nothing wrong with speaking your mind. Both agreements and disagreements are very much welcomed here. I am really interested in seeing different opinions and ideas from the rest of you guys, which help me see things in a different perspective.

However, you can't state something without providing some type of evidence to back it up and expect me to just take it as is. A statement without any back-up evidence or fact, to me, is just worthless. As I've said before, I do not have any problems with some people who disagreed with my articles as long as their comments are respectful and intelligible. An angry comment with big caption letters, exclamation mark, and insulting words is simply unacceptable. I do consider that to be bullying and harassment. It's just too immature in my opinion.

What I am noticing is that some of the hearing commenters are more upset than Deaf by the article of "Reasons Employers Won't Hire Deaf Applicants". Why? I don't know. I guess it could be either they are secretly ashamed of the fact that their own people are rejecting Deaf people or... well, actually, I think it's only that. What else could it be? They don't like it when I am telling the truth, but you know what? Face it.

Some hearing people who are upset about the R.E.W.H.D.A. say they know a deaf person, whether it's their spouse, family member, or friend, who has a very good job. Instead of just cursing, how about inviting them over here and share their experience and tips of how they got a good job? Also, since you are hearing and have never been in a deaf person's shoes, who are you to speak on this subject, anyway? What do you really know? Here's an ideawhy don't you just learn some sign language, wear earplugs, go out into the world and see what it's like to be deaf?

That's all I needed to say.

Thanks for the reading!

https://facebook.com/DeafUnemployment
https://deafcantgetjobs.blogspot.com
 

10 comments:

  1. Your blog is the only one I read on this issue, and the only one saying how it is,albeit USA based. In the UK we are under constant attack from the state,who refuse to recognize we are being discriminated against in the job area,their argument is a law exists so use it, but employers use every loophole to prevent you doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the truth about employers preventing me from doing that. I will continue to get it out and try to make a difference.

      Delete
  2. I think the title of your blog is the most embarrassing thing ever! You are basically implying people CAN'T get jobs. Rename your blog and I might consider sharing some advice and my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you're one of those employers who don't want to hire deaf. I will not rename my blog for you, but thanks for your opinion.

      Delete
  3. Love your blog! Don't change a thing! Pffft on those folks, especially those who can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, such acrimony towards you. Sad. i'm 64, recently deafened, and forced into retirement because of it. i CANNOT find any means of employment and i have tried in 3 countries!! i can't even get work at the very bottom of the barrel and i'm a professional with years of experience. Of course, unemployment is high for hearing folks as well, but it's not as bad as for us. Sometimes i get animated by an application on-line thinking this must be the one, and then i get a response requiring a 'phone call to "sew it up," or to make an appointment. If i write back advising of the problem, i usually don't get a response OR they'll send me the 'phone number again! i know that i wasn't that stupid when i was a hearing person LOL. i wish i had a solution, but i don't. Thanks for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard. I write the blog for people like us who are looking for solutions and to share some advice & ideas.

      I am not worried some people who don't like what I write. That's their problem.

      Delete
  5. Hello Sterras, ur article is epic and too pain for some or mostly deaf ppl to read but it is truly the truth. i wonder what brings u to do this like that in case i may have missed your purpose. To open deaf's eyes or what? Forgive my poor english as i'm open-mind deaf asian :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think as an individual who has genetically induced deafness, I feel mentally exhausted in my attempts to seek better employment. Attitude plays a role, but after many legalized excuses not to hire, one must keep on trying or simply out of dispair seek disability. It is a shame to live on an income like that and have people think one is abusing the system when in fact that is not the case (while a few do abuse the system). If more employers embraced the deaf and disabled for their strengths, less of them will resket to disability, a program that is becoming insolvent by 2016. That piece of information is a concern that can be found on an handful of sites. As for me, I have to keep trying and bring up ADA and suggesting Captel.

    ReplyDelete